Monday, October 13, 2008

The value of video

We had a conversation here in our editorial office last week about the value of video as a news source. Personally, I'm on the fence about it. I admit that sometimes when I scan my Yahoo! News headlines and see the video camera icon next to a headline, I avoid that story. I want my news quickly; I don't want to wait for a video clip to load, run through the commercials, then get to what I want to hear about.

On the other hand, video news that covers stories as they happen (TV news-style) holds so much more value for me as a news consumer. Also, informational video clips that supplement the headlines I'm reading can do wonders to make me feel a more personal link to the story. If they're short. And dynamic.

Last week, at the same time RockBridge Capital announced the promotion of Jim Merkel to president (read the announcement here), the company showcased its new corporate video. Take a look: The company focuses its message on its link to the community in this piece, and that's not lost on me. It goes back to that idea that the video works for me personally if it can make me feel more connected to the subject or company I'm reading about.

I'd like to know what your thoughts are on the video-as-news debate. Do you watch? Do you skip over?

No comments: