Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Starwood scores

I admit it. I am a slave to points.

If you offer me a way to earn them, I promise I will excel at it. I’ll focus on a goal to reach, horde them until I meet it and then relish in my “purchase” that I like to view as having come free of charge (kind of).

And, also, I don’t think I’m alone.

So for all of those like me out there, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide has come up with something for us to work for. And as far as loyalty programs, rewards or any of it goes, you have to admit this one is pretty cool.

As part of its no blackout dates program for cashing in on Starpoints, those enrolled in the Starwood Preferred Guest program will see that flexibility extend beyond hotel rooms. Now SPG offers its members hundreds of flights, with no blackout dates, on domestic and international airlines and on any preferred flight in the class of service they choose.

Again, pretty cool.

Members can go to www.spg.com/flights to book travel just like on any other third-party booking site. I easily found flights from right here in Cleveland, even during the Christmas holiday. The Starpoints can be redeemed for the entire cost of the flight, and members may even earn airline miles while doing it.

Now, granted, it looks like it would cost 20,000 points or more for me to fly just to Orlando. And I’m not quite sure how many Starwood stays it would take for me to ever make it there. But I’m starting to smell a challenge, so here goes nothing.

No comments: